The newly inaugurated Amricani Cultural Center

The Amricani Cultural Center is currently the headquarters of Dar al Athar al Islamiyya. Besides holding the DAI’s offices, the completely restored American Mission Hospital also hosts events such as lectures, workshops, exhibitions and performing arts. The Amricani opened to the public after in 2011.

The American Hospital opened in 1911 and was probably the first modern hospital in the Gulf. It closed in 1967 and was abandoned until 2000. From 2000 until 2011 the building was restored and renovated with the support of the UNESCO. It now houses the DAI’s impressive Islamic arts and culture library – including many rare manuscripts – in the former women’s wing and the cultural center in the men’s wing.

The cultural center consists of a 200-seat theatre, temporary exhibition spaces, a permanent exhibit on the history of the hospital, a conservation laboratory and a training center, where museum staff is being trained with the support of the UNDP.

Written by: RobertK Last modified: 19th Nov 2012
TAGS: | | | |