Tashkeel was set up in 2008 upon the initiative of Princess Latifa Bint Maktoum. It is the main venue for aspiring artists, offering studio spaces, many facilities (digital, metal and wood-working, ceramics etc.). Any UAE resident can register, for short periods up to a year, to make use of the production facilities and studio space.
Tashkeel is involved with Art Dubai, Shelter, Brownbook and other institutions in Dubai involved in broadening and professionalizing the arts community. Directed since its inception by the energetic Jill Hoyle, Tashkeel welcomes artistic exchange with foreign artists, in many different ways.
Since 2011 Tashkeel also has studio spaces in Bastakiya, to provide it with a central location and new possibilities for community outreach.
- The Arab Fund for Arts and Culture – Open Calls as of March 2015
- Some of the first favourites at Art Dubai.
- Sheikha Hoor Al-Qasimi to be the curator of the UAE Venice Biennale 2015 pavillion
- First edition of the Gulf Music Festival at the Archive, Dubai
- And an interesting question mark from Isabelle van den Eynde