UPDATE: 1×1 HAS RELOCATED TEMPORARILY TO MOHAMMED KAZEM’S STUDIO, EMPTY10. THEIR OFFICE IS IN THE CITADEL, BUSINESS BAY (SEE MAP). THEY WILL RELOCATE TO ALSERKAL AVENUE. WE WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THE GALLERY REOPENS IN THIS NEW LOCATION.
1×1 gallery is the main gallery specializing in contemporary Indian art in Dubai. It was established in 2006 by Malini Gulrajani, proclaimed one of the Gulf’s most powerful Indians by Arabian Business. 1×1 has brought some of India’s most interesting contemporary artists to Dubai, such as TV Santosh, Bose Krishnamachari, Chittrovanu Mazumdar, Riyas Komu and others.
Strangely, contemporary Indian art is not as big in Dubai as one might expect, given the strong cultural ties between the regions. Over the past years, Gulrajani has shifted her focus to include artists from Pakistan and Iran, as in the 2012 well-reviewed group show (Fragile) of young artists from the three countries.
- The Arab Fund for Arts and Culture – Open Calls as of March 2015
- Some of the first favourites at Art Dubai.
- Sheikha Hoor Al-Qasimi to be the curator of the UAE Venice Biennale 2015 pavillion
- First edition of the Gulf Music Festival at the Archive, Dubai
- And an interesting question mark from Isabelle van den Eynde